kit #305 DeHavilland Beaver...Floats?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: kit #305 DeHavilland Beaver...Floats?

Postby Coloradoken » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:58 pm

You have inspired me to do the Beaver next. The interior looks great. Are you planning to put a pilot in it? Thinking about sheeting the plane instead of tissue. It will be a first for me.
Coloradoken

Postby heywooood » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:30 pm

The only thing keeping me from putting a pilot in there is that I don't have one in my spares box and I dont want to buy one.
Gotta watch the spending these days and it all adds up. My local shop doesnt have pilot figures in the smaller scales and guillow has that dumb 10$ minimum that with the freight added is just wrong.
If you are going for the infil method be prepared to do a lot of sanding. And make sure you use a sanding sealer like Aero Gloss # 70-4 as this is what you use on the last step before painting the model to get rid of any trace of woodgrain in the finish. If you want the plane to look smooth like a polished painted aluminum the sanding sealer and then an overall fine grade sanding with a 400 grit paper is the key.
Its another great kit from Guillow for sure..
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:38 pm

Progress shots

heywooood

Postby heywooood » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:46 am

I dont know if this video will show up here or not but I'm going to post it anyway.
It is a clip from FSX (MS Flight Simulator X) depicting a flight over the northern California coast in a Waco YMF-5
made for FSX by a company called Alabeo who make a lot of extra aircraft models for use in FSX.
This is what I do while the glue or the paint is drying..
I know this thread is about a Beaver build but this Waco is a nice plane too.
heywooood

Postby davidchoate » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:39 am

Thats nice wok on the controls and inside cockpit.It does not look crappy. Like My details. I have only got as far as getting the plans copied with My Beaver, but I am finishing another project soon and this thread is perfect timing as I will build Mine about when You are finishing. Example: I see the fuselage is going to be easy to make a one piece wing from Your very good photos. How are You able to post such large and highly defined pictures? I can not even if I set My Samsung camera on its smallest least memory taking setting. I still got to resize. Whats the secret?
davidchoate

Postby heywooood » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi David - thanks for the encouragements.
All of these photo's were taken with my Iphone 5 and are hosted by photobucket.
Yes - this model does make it possible to remove the upper cabin and make a one piece removable wing..
the modifications I make to the interior are lightweight and could easily be incorporated into an electric RC model - at least -the forward part of it..the main passenger section would still be needed to house the battery and receiver / speed control
I imagine the servo's are small enough now to place almost anywhere...
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:24 pm

So I made a Wasp Jr. Radial engine for the Beaver..I didn't like the cardstock printed one that was included as it was designed to fit right on the face of the cowling. Larger scale airplanes need a little more detail.

Here is what it looks like inside the cowling.
I will probably touch it up a little but I do want it to look worn..
I used cardstock circles punched out with hole punch for the cylinders, dowel slices for the heads and straight pins for the valve posts..the crankcase was carved from thick balsa sheet.
The plug wires are braided copper clad thread.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:14 am

Well no pictures today..photobucket is not cooperating.
The fuselage has been completely filled in, puttied and coarse sanded to the limit.
Next is the fine sanding, then the sanding sealer, then the final sanding down to 400grit
I thing the paint scheme will be overall white with red over grey accent stripes.
The floats will be aluminum.
I have also touched up the engine..I have painted the crankcase grey and the ring and rods are chrome silver.
When photobucket is sorted I will post a few progress shots.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:08 pm

so here are those update pics now that photobucket is functioning again...

I have done very little work over the past week or so - my wife had the flu..it was a bad one and I don't recommend it..worst I have seen in a long long time.
heywooood

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:29 am

The cocpit roof looks good filled. I filled the front edge to prevent covering sag, which was pretty much mandatory, for appearance reasons. The radial looks good also. I thought about using string for the cylinders, but then came up with the idea of using flexi-straws. :D I knew we had them in the house, but then finding them was a different story. They were eventually tracked down.
Bill Gaylord

Postby davidchoate » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:51 pm

I just bought a new smart phone with a good camera to make posting easier. I also bought another Fairchild Kit. The 1st one I made was proof of concept, and since My Thread on it vanished into Cyberspace, I want to build a 2nd one with one piece wing to show anyone interested how to do it. I will also in corporate ailerones on it as the 1st one did Fly, though not exactly without constantly on the sticks. Rudder a lone just did not give Me the desired control. I want to do the Beaver, but its lack of wing area concerns Me.
davidchoate

Postby heywooood » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:47 pm

A smart phone will definitely make it easier to post images everywhere.
I thought of using the bendy straws but the ones I have are too large in diameter.
The card stock hole punches scaled out a little better here but those straws are available in different diameters.
Thank you for your kind remarks on the Beaver interior. Much appreciated. I think I will make one more - a wheeled version with the tundra tires I think.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:13 pm

I have the main assemblies done including the floats and all have been infilled except for one of the floats..
The horizontal and vertical tail surfaces have been mated to the fuselage and that has all received the base coat of gloss white.
The wings have been sanded and sealed and are now ready for paint. the cowling is also ready for its base coat of gloss white.
Once the cowl is painted I will mate it to the fuselage and add the intake scoops. I thought I had a bit of screen mesh material for the front of the scoop but of course it is missing somewhere in this organizational system of mine.
After the cowling is attached I will paint the fuselage color accents and stripes, then attach the wings, shape, sand, prep and paint the wing struts and apply them.
Once all of that is done, I can focus on the float assembly as a separate model, fabricating the struts and completing the rigging and bracing wires and applying all of that to the completed and painted pair of floats - then attaching
to the aircraft (hopefully somewhat squarely) then apply the panel lines, control surface lines and flap actuators and radio masts..along with whatever other little odds and ends, then the clear acrylic final sealer - then the acetate windows and windscreen.
Not much to write, but a ton of work still to be done.
I will try and post a few more progress pictures tomorrow.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:57 pm

heywooood

Postby heywooood » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:01 pm

So there has been some work done around here after all..
The cherry red turned out ok, only a few very small areas need touch up.
The wings have their base white coat but need their stripes applied..the two wide stripes typical of the Beaver will go on and then I will use black decal for the thin parallel stripes that bracket the wide red ones.
There will also be black striping done on the fuselage.
I still have a ton of work to do on the floats..
heywooood

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions