kit #305 DeHavilland Beaver...Floats?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

kit #305 DeHavilland Beaver...Floats?

Postby heywooood » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:48 pm

the next build just arrived in its box...and I ordered the floats from Guillow.

Still trying to decide if it will be a float plane or not. But no reason not to collect resource data for both.
I found a nice PDF for installing floats on the real DHC-2 with all the rigging diagrams including the bracing and the water rudders.

Or - I found a Bush Pounder website dedicated to the Beaver and some interesting modifications for off airfield operations...Big Outlandish Wheels in other words.
This one might also need a bit more interior detailing than I have been doing as well...

I might also end up strapping a canoe to the floats if we go that way...decisions..
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Re: kit #305 DeHavilland Beaver...Floats?

Postby heywooood » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:22 pm

just a couple of references - I might have to build two Beavers Dammit..one with and one without
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Working on the fuselage interior..like building a ship in a bottle in this case.
The other two kits, cherokee and 170, gave me more room to work with - this cabin is more enclosed as part of the basic fuselage structure to the degree that cutting and fitting the cardstock is pretty tricky.
I am not sure I will have enough room to get the seats in there...
We'll see I guess

heywooood

Postby heywooood » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:35 pm

The interior paint is still wet, its a matt wood tan.
I had to leave former F3 off on the right side to leave enough room to fit the larger pieces of cardstock into the cabin without creasing them.
This kit is going to be much more involved than the last two.
Between the floats, the engine which I plan to make, and the interior - much more work to this one.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:52 pm

I found a nice three-blade scale looking prop for this build incase anyone is interested.
The SKU# is EFLUP 11803BPUC it is an E-flite prop.
I had contacted Dave Duckett to ask him which prop he had used on his beautiful DeHavilland Beaver in Air Force paint and he replied that he fabricates his own props (I should have known) and then he offered to make and ship a couple to me.!!
I didnt want to put him out but at the same time how cool is that?
I took one last look at my local hobby shop and found this one. I can make a spinner with a section of wood dowel I think but I really appreciated the offer from Dave.
More to come...
heywooood

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:52 pm

I used the Horizon prop on this model. It's a good fit. About the only issue is that the hub is narrow and can barely be drilled out enough for a small prop adapter shaft, or better yet just a screw retainer. Had one break from being drilled a bit thin, on the little FW190. The 1/32" sheeted floats came in at 10gms each with Parklite covering and the parts hand cut from 1/32" sheet stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby heywooood » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 pm

That is a great job,Bill - I really like the color selection you used and the paint scheme.
heywooood

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:51 pm

heywooood wrote:That is a great job,Bill - I really like the color selection you used and the paint scheme.
Thanks, it kinda talked me into the build. I found it on the internet and had to model it.
Bill Gaylord

Postby heywooood » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Working on the interior still..got all the seats in and cobbled a panel together out of cardstock and a handful of leftover plastic parts from a semi-trailer kit..light lenses mostly, painted black and glued to the panel as guages.

The cardstock is easy to work with and cheap enough to allow for endless tries at the correct shape and size.
This is probably as close as I'm going to get unless I spend a lot longer than I want to...
It just has to be good enough to look ok from a couple feet away and looking through the acetate windows after all
heywooood

Postby Balsa Pilot » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:19 pm

I built the Beaver on wheels and then ordered the float kit after completion. Dumb lovistics but still an interesting build. If you use a sandpaper wrapped pencil you can get the flutes very nicely on the underside of the float tips-very realiztic! I found a youtube video of a guy flying this kit ON FLOATS. It was being flown in a gym. Flew for about a minute and landed upright! Havent seen it recently but its out there. The landing is the best part. It stays upright. Maybe he incorporated wheels into the design. Happy building. Show us the pics!!
Balsa Pilot

Postby heywooood » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:13 pm

I was planning on using that method around the base of the front windscreen at the top of the cowling...looks like a problem area for sanding..using that method to channel the floats is a good one. Thanks.
This model will be for static display purposes - I have built models for flight in the past but don't like spending all that time and money only to see them destroyed after a repatively short time period..in my case anyway.
heywooood

Postby davidchoate » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Nice Beaver ! I recall an article in a recent issue on MAN,FLY RC, or AMA magfazines. I get all 3 ,but It was a cool setup on the steering. Excellently functional if You got the guts to put that beautiful, God knows how many painstaking hours of work Plane down in a Pond! I also try My best to get a scale 3 or 4 blade prop. But sometimes I just cant get the right one to Fly it on, but Who says You can not swap it for photos. Right? I found Master Airscrew the "best Looking", But They are not really dersigned for electric power. Nice Photos. I LOVE Radial Engines. As a Mechanic I really appreciate them. On a Plane. Not in a Sherman, of course. I just happened to have that Kit out as a possible little project, and I Hasve a seperate plan sheet for floats. Does Yours not? If You need it let Me Know. It looks like it would work with a few modifications, but either way, If I was Going to Maiden Mine, I'd do it from a Terra Firma 1st til I trimmed it, and maybe even test the floats on a known well behaved Plane 1st . I think that The Beaver is one of the best Civilian Airframes Ever produced. And it is not a Small Plane. I don't know what exact scale this Kit is, but it's a shame they made it so 1/24 scale. I downloaded them photos of the full scale Beaver for a screensaver, or idea picture. Thanx
davidchoate

Postby heywooood » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:20 am

thanks Dave, as I said - I'm not building this one for flight..been there done that and after a handful of flights I have a handful of sticks to show for it...so I personally don't do that anymore.
BtW - thanks for offering the use of your float instructions - I have them included with the kit and I purchased the LC float sheets from Guillow so I am good to go..

the thrust of my intention in building these civilian planes for static display and using the method I use is to share some of the very small and basic steps one can take to turn a bare bones stick and tissue model into something much more detailed and realistic...based on the fact that these Guillow designs are so very very good wrt to design and scale representation of the actual air frames they replicate.
Plastic kit manufacturers do not make large scale civilian single engine aircraft available..best you can do is some rather poor 1/48" representations. Built as best they can be built, they still look like cheap toys. These models, on the other hand, can easily be made to look more like scale miniatures of the real deal. If I were to build for RC or RB flight, I would use Guillows kits - I have built Herr, and Sterling, and Dumas and Easy Built kits in the past and have found that, the others aren't bad - but these Guillow kits are the best, again - for light flight applications.

Back on topic - I have all the major components framed, including the floats. This one will be a waterfowl.
Nest step is the infill, putty, sand and sealing or 'the Grind' as I now like to call it. get it waterfowl...nest step...no?... crickets?..

PS: DD...I begin to see what you mean...boy howdy -
heywooood

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:32 am

I did 1 or 2 display models and I remember a lot of filling and sanding, and filling and sanding, and staring at it and the more I stared the more imperfections I saw, but It was worth it in the end. I wanted to learn some of D. Duckett's techniques, and It came out nice. A p-40 500 series it was. I Love the shape of WW2 Warbirds. Sexy. I like to try and make them Fly though, and You are not alone; I have built almost every Plane Guillows makes, and only have 2 or 3 "survivors" hanging up. But every failure is valuable in the knowledge gained. I have seen some very nice artwork on plastic display models, but I entered a 500 series Bf109 in a display contest at Hobby Town and was surprised in the interest. It was an early attempt at RC, but it was too heavy, but just the fact that it was possibly almost airworthy won me 2nd Place over the plastic ones with rivets and all super detailed. I did do a really nice paint job on it though. I always said Guillows is the best as far as getting the scale shape, but at the cost of being heavy. The 500 series is My choice for display model purpose. I got a DC-3 kit and it has a direction sheet to make a nice display stand. I'm gonna have to keep that for future purposes. And I want to say that I have been to a hundred air shows, and unless it is one of them super new Stealth Planes, or a carbon fibre fuselage, full scale planes are lumpy as all hell. If it was a car You would be ashamed to say You owned it. But Form Follows function in Aviation. Looks are just a extra benefit.
davidchoate

Postby davidchoate » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:32 am

I did 1 or 2 display models and I remember a lot of filling and sanding, and filling and sanding, and staring at it and the more I stared the more imperfections I saw, but It was worth it in the end. I wanted to learn some of D. Duckett's techniques, and It came out nice. A p-40 500 series it was. I Love the shape of WW2 Warbirds. Sexy. I like to try and make them Fly though, and You are not alone; I have built almost every Plane Guillows makes, and only have 2 or 3 "survivors" hanging up. But every failure is valuable in the knowledge gained. I have seen some very nice artwork on plastic display models, but I entered a 500 series Bf109 in a display contest at Hobby Town and was surprised in the interest. It was an early attempt at RC, but it was too heavy, but just the fact that it was possibly almost airworthy won me 2nd Place over the plastic ones with rivets and all super detailed. I did do a really nice paint job on it though. I always said Guillows is the best as far as getting the scale shape, but at the cost of being heavy. The 500 series is My choice for display model purpose. I got a DC-3 kit and it has a direction sheet to make a nice display stand. I'm gonna have to keep that for future purposes. And I want to say that I have been to a hundred air shows, and unless it is one of them super new Stealth Planes, or a carbon fibre fuselage, full scale planes are lumpy as all hell. If it was a car You would be ashamed to say You owned it. But Form Follows function in Aviation. Looks are just a extra benefit.
davidchoate

Next

Return to General Building Questions