Guillows kit #307 Cherokee

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Guillows kit #307 Cherokee

Postby heywooood » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:15 am

No skid strip and anti-glare cockpit coaming Image
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Are you going to submit pics to Guillow's? You could easily win model of the month.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby heywooood » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:59 pm

All of the glazing is done...and I added the anti-glare black to the cowling. Not sure if it will stay or
if I will remove it. What do you think?

heywooood

Postby heywooood » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:03 pm

heywooood

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:59 am

I think either way looks good.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby heywooood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:15 am

backyardbalsapilot wrote:Are you going to submit pics to Guillow's? You could easily win model of the month.

Thanks bbp, I really appreciate your positive review.
I still have a number of details to add and - having looked at the submittals, I see mainly models that adhere more to Guillows designed use, which is flyable models or at least stick and tissue builds. I can see why that would be important
since these kits really are well designed to be built and flown. My effort was more of an attempt to see how closely these
300 series kits scaled out in overall form to their real world prototypes and surprisingly, they look very accurate.

I see you also replied on the glare shield - I appreciate the feedback, I think I'm leaning toward leaving it on.
but I'm not sure. I like the all white.cowl too - the anti-glare looks more retro and this paint scheme can go either way...
I dunno..
heywooood

Postby NcGunny » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:09 am

Anti glare looks good as it is. Now get that plane off the "Dealership" lot and add some weathering..lol. Probably a little chalking around the cowl area and wheel pants, maybe a touch of rust stains here and there and its all it would take. Maybe even a fuel door area spill would make it pop. I always figure 99% of people never see a new plane, but 99% of people can see a used plane..lol.
NcGunny

Postby heywooood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Yes Gunny - a little weathering goes a long way ...I still have a few more details to work in,
I have to make a couple of fuel caps and add one or two more panel lines at the cowling area... A/P guys need to be able to get at the hamster wheel after all... Then I can break out the rust and dirt smudgers.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Radio and vor antenae installed - also landing gear scissor links
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:53 pm

** note to Guillow - the windscreen consists of a compound curve and is impossible to fit with sheet acetate no matter how thin.
If you could consider a vacuum formed windscreen for this model kit I am sure it would be appreciated by all.
Some dedicated modelers have their own vacuum forming gear and others might take the time to create a wooded former block and just heating and stretching a piece of random acetate packaging material (those clear tomato boxes from the supermarket are a good source of thin flat clear acetate) but for most of us - using the materials provided in the kit along with the prescribed instructions and templates is part of the fun. That said - trying to create a well fitted windscreen with the necessary compound curves with the provided materials was only possible after I cut the windscreen in half along the center vertical support rail. This method worked well enough to pass but is not an ideal fit...the fit I had making it work was not ideal either..lol
So - if it is possible for you to consider including just a preformed windscreen for the 300 series civil aviation kits, I would be grateful. Maybe other customers would too..
You provide one with your new Edge 540 kits after all..
heywooood

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:32 pm

The canopy for the Cherokee does look tricky.

As to your point about stick and tissue models for MOTM, take a look at this: https://picasaweb.google.com/1131586249 ... 1692482482
backyardbalsapilot

Postby heywooood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Those are some real gems...that Dauntless looks great in the prewar colors.
David Ducketts DeHavilland is amazing too - they could have named a couple of winners there.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Final pics before the weathering

heywooood

Postby 42swing » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 am

Magnificent model! I did my flight training in Cherokees and then flew them for many years eventually graduating to the Arrow. I like the anti glare panel, but I believe it should be a Matt finish rather than gloss, ditto the skid strip. Some subtle weathering would really make it pop. The ones I flew were in good shape and cared for, but were used.
42swing

Postby heywooood » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:16 am

Thank you,42Swing - I also have a little time in the Arrow II having done circuits and bumps a number of times and a couple flights from Gillespie field to Lake Havasu.
I agree the anti-glare panel should be matte and not gloss..I plan to brush on a coat of clear matte or semi gloss to take care of that - this is the kit decal. As to the no skid wing walk..that is actually a strip of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper - thats what I always use instead of the decals or paint because looks and feels right to scale.
Maybe the shine is the reflection or sparkle of the crystals in the sandpaper?
I appreciate your positive remarks about the model - thank you.
Weathering will be minimal - less is more on a well maintained but long toothed airframe like the Cherokee for sure
heywooood

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions