#602 Piper Cub by Billy

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

#602 Piper Cub by Billy

Postby Billy Mc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:53 pm

My first balsa tissue model is complete. Waiting for weather to test fly.
Taking weight off the tail.
Billy
Billy Mc

Re: #602 Piper Cub by Billy

Postby davidchoate » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:03 am

nice job. Balance it before flying.
davidchoate

Postby Wildpig » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm

Yes, very nice job.

Balance it and make test glides before you wind up the rubber band. I would say make test glides over tall grass. Looks like you'll have to settle for snow.
Wildpig

Postby Billy Mc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks, my wife picked the colors and decided I should put the black cat on the tail. The cats are cut from newspaper paper colored with a Sharpie.
After drilling four hole in the tail to lighten it I added three stringers to the top of the nose and one to the bottom of the nose plus extra bracing to the nose former before covering it was still a little tail heavy. The popped off the barely attached cowling and added the clay needed to finish the balance and barely reattached it. After test glides I will make adjustments if needed and securely attach it before winding and flying.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby Billy Mc » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Okay finally got to test glide my Cub, but it doesn't do well. It looked balanced to me when supported by the pins in the wingtips, but the plane will pitch up sharply, stall, then nose into the ground. Maybe add some more weight to the nose, but already put a good size piece of clay in the nose. It seems that I had one of the pins too far back on one of the wings.
I put the pins back in the wings and looked again and see that it looks tail heavy.
I added some weight and it looks better now, but will have to wait to try again when then wind dies down.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby WIDDOG » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi Billy,

Super cool looking Piper Cub.

Q Did you put some down shim in the thrust bearing? Q referring to page 24 ( picture #2) How to Build and Fly A Balsa Model Airplane Booklet that comes in each kit.
WIDDOG

Postby Billy Mc » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks Widdog,
I haven't done anything with the thrust bearing yet. I've only done the test glide. I hand launched it a few times, but even without power and launching slightly nose down it would pitch up steeply, stall, and nose dive. Going to try it again in the morning if there is no wind.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby davidchoate » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:37 am

I'm building the same plane. I cant wait to hear how yours flies. I'm gonna use different wheels. those ones in the kit (especially the tail wheel suck. but i'm gonna put them on for the G contest.
davidchoate

Postby Billy Mc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:31 pm

After adding some more weight to the nose it glides well. Hope to do some powered test flights soon. Mine was really tail heavy, added nearly half the clay that came with the kit. I put the clay inside the hollow plastic nose cowl.
Billy
Billy Mc

Postby davidchoate » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:05 pm

i usually balance it at the thickest part of the wing
davidchoate

Postby Mitch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 pm

Very Nice Job... I like the black cat...

I do not have the plans in front of me, but from my experience the cg is about at the forward 1/3 of the wing chord for most planes.
After I throw it underhand (close to the ground) and see it is close to balance, I will toss it overhand at a point about 50 feet ahead.

Good luck with your flights. Keep us posted.
Mitch

Return to General Building Questions