Okay then... Thank you for taking my advice, we can build the P-38 together on a later date...
On with the P-51... the Mustang is a good flyer... check out my "Fight for Germany" post... for pictures in flight. That model was built straight from the kit... The only after market part I used was LITE Tissue. But I would recommend you start with the SILKSPAN in the kit.
The glue I use for 99% of my work on these models is ELMER'S Glue-All. It's white, it's water soluable, safe, and non-toxic... You can even eat it!
Some people say the yellow wood glue sands better, but for these (small) models I do not notice a problem with WHITE GLUE.
I do use CA super glue sometimes, and 2 part epoxy but that comes later.
I will let you look though the threads, but basically you should have at least...
1. Building Board, you can use a 2x4 ceiling tile or cork board. I use Guillows Balsa Board and Magna Board with Magnets.
2. 'T' Pins. I have 2 different sizes, but my first model (when I was 10) my Mom gave let me use her pins for sewing.
3. WAX paper, to cover the plans
4. Sand paper. I have a couple of sanders, but again for my first model, my Dad gave me a block of wood and a small piece of sand paper.
5. Clamps... if you do not have them do not worry. Again in the beginning if a piece does not stay where you want it... Pin it!
That's about it... When you get your model, you can start a build thread on that... or if you like I could start a build thread... I was planning a kitbash of the P-51 into the razorback... building the aft fuselage like the P-40 Warhawk, and the Warhawk canopy... Everything else will be the same!
Your building buddy, Mitch
UPDATE... 6. X-Acto knife # 11 blade
PS Have to thow this in...
This is the best shot I have so far... about 2 weeks ago. This a a Guillows LAZER cut P-51... the ONLY after market parts used is the TISSUE... this is flying with the rubber supplied in the kit and the 7 inch propeller!