300 Series Piper Super Cub Kit Bash Into L-4

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: 300 Series Piper Super Cub Kit Bash Into L-4

Postby kittyfritters » Mon May 21, 2012 5:18 pm

I am back where I was before my "crushing defeat". This version, with stronger keels and critical stringers, is two grams heavier, but can be handled with impunity.

I will now continue with attaching the nose. It glues right to the front of the fuselage frame. The removable/adjustable section of the nose is the block that holds the thrust button. The rest of it is fixed. The cylinder banks are very close to the front of the nose, so the right hand bank will be attached to the removable part and the left hand bank, staggered a half cylinder width to the rear, will remain with the fixed section.

I hope to get this one off the bench by the end of the week. Other projects press...
kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:43 pm

OK, so it's not coming along as fast as I wanted. It's just a bit busy here. Anyway, here is the L-4 tacked together with some green glue for a "bones shot". There are a couple of small parts missing and there is a slight, easily solved, alignment issue, but for the most part it went together very smoothly for a hand-cut model. What you see here weighs 16 grams. I'm going to use "blue foam" wheels, a hand carved balsa prop, Esaki tissue with air brushed acrylic ink, and .005" acetate windows. I'm estimating 28 grams, less rubber, when done.

kittyfritters

Postby hwmccullough » Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 am

Hey, Guys, I know this is an old thread but had to say that how you lightened the model by using sticks instead of the larger wood from the kit gave me lot's of ideas for when I build my Guillows kits.

So how did this one turn out. I'd like to see some pics of the finished product.

SandMan
hwmccullough

Postby akjgardner » Mon May 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Thats looking good,
akjgardner

Postby kittyfritters » Tue May 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Glad you brought this up. I was planning to complete the build log on this one. Don't have the time right now but I will.

Thanks,

Howard
kittyfritters

Previous

Return to General Building Questions