GUILLOWS *B-29 SUPERFORTRESS* MODEL KIT on E-Bay

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: GUILLOWS *B-29 SUPERFORTRESS* MODEL KIT on E-Bay

Postby BillParker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:54 am

Guillow's 1/32 Boeing B-29 Superfortres display model Still in shrink wrap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290693755201?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

From a recently acquired estate collection comes a variety of wooden flying and display model kits that I'll be listing over the next several weeks.
First, a little information about the collection is in order. It was amassed over a period of 31 years and the most recent items are from 2009. Along with the 200+ wooden kits, there were over 2,000 plastic model kits. In the few plastic kits that were opened, I found one that was started and I'm convinced it was purchased that way at a swap meet. All of the kits were stored in spare bedroom or the climate controlled basement of a non-smokers home. According to his widow, the gentleman derived his pleasure from simply collecting the kits.
None have been started, and some have never been opened. Most of the boxes are in excellent condition. If not, you'll see it in the pictures. If the box has been opened, I'll do my best to show what is inside short of removing all of the wood -- I know better than to think I could get it back in the box. That being said, all items are sold "as is". Thanks for looking and good luck if you decide to bid. Keep watching, there will be more. Now, for the item description: Guillow's kit no. 2005 Boeing B-29 Superfortress Kit is still sealed in shrink wrap. 53 inch wingspan
37-1/2 inches long

Guillows DeHavilland Mosquito Mk.IV scale balsa kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290693249940?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

From a recently acquired estate collection comes a variety of wooden flying and display model kits that I'll be listing over the next several weeks.
First, a little information about the collection is in order. It was amassed over a period of 31 years and the most recent items are from 2009. Along with the 200+ wooden kits, there were over 2,000 plastic model kits. In the few plastic kits that were opened, I found one that was started and I'm convinced it was purchased that way at a swap meet. All of the kits were stored in spare bedroom or the climate controlled basement of a non-smokers home. According to his widow, the gentleman derived his pleasure from simply collecting the kits.
None have been started, and some have never been opened. Most of the boxes are in excellent condition. If not, you'll see it in the pictures. If the box has been opened, I'll do my best to show what is inside short of removing all of the wood -- I know better than to think I could get it back in the box. That being said, all items are sold "as is". Thanks for looking and good luck if you decide to bid. Keep watching, there will be more. Now, for the item description: Guillow's kit no. 804 DeHavilland Mosquito Mk.IV This is a discontinued kit. If you look in Guillow's catalog you'll see that kit no. 804 is now the DC-3. Kit is complete and in excellent condition. There is very slight stain on the printed control surfaces where the Guillow's catalog was touching it. All vacuum formed parts are undamaged and the clear parts are not yellowed.
25-3/4 inch wingspan

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:07 pm

BRAND NEW IN BOX GUILLOW'S B-29 SUPERFORTRESS ATOM BOMBER WW2 AIR FORCE # 2005

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-GUILLOWS-B-29-SUPERFORTRESS-ATOM-BOMBER-WW2-AIR-FORCE-2005-/120893084500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c25ca1354

Sealed in box. Never opened. Kit No. 2005. Guillow's The "Enola Gay" B-29 Superfortress: US Air Force WW2 long range bomber, the world's first atom bomber.
Says on box: Giant 1/32nd scale, 7/16"=1' - 0", 53" wing span (134.62 cm), length=37 1/2 (95.25 cm).
Highly collectible. Item for auction only--will not end early.

GUILLOWS BOEING B-29 SUPERFORTRESS DISPLAY MODEL AIRPLANE KIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUILLOWS-BOEING-B-29-SUPERFORTRESS-DISPLAY-MODEL-AIRPLANE-KIT-/350556366422?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item519ec9a656

Build this great replica of the U.S. Air Force WWII Long Range Bomber. This balsa wood display model is a giant 1/32nd scale. It has a wingspan of 53 inches and a length of 37 1/2.
Features: Tail empennage, Moveable ailerons, elevators and rudder, Bomb bays, Rudder frame structure, Tail of fuselage frame, Cockpit enclosure, Attaching nacelle shell, Nacelle Detail, Extended main gear. Kit contains: easy to read plans, vacuum formed plastic engines, nacelle shells and nose cowls, gun turrets, observation domes, dummy bomb clusters and nose canopy. Percision die-cut balsa parts and a generous supply of balsa strip stock and covering tissue. Decals for both the "Enola Gay" and a Korean War version of the B-29. Comprehensive building instructions with step-by-step photos of model assembly. A NICE CHOICE FOR YOUR NEXT PROJECT. THIS KIT IS FACTORY SEALED AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION!
BillParker

Postby Bill Gaylord » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:49 pm

David Duckett wrote:At some point, this kit will lose its appeal and the price will drop. After all, it's not exactly rare.

Yes, I'm convinced there are a lot more of these stashed than people are aware of. I've heard staggering numbers from vintage model collector/resellers, of how many vintage models are actually stored. I just went through Ebay for the first time in ages today, and it was a complete waste of time. Almost nothing but people trying to sell Guillows kits that are currently in production, and overpricing them to boot. I'll support my LHS for these Guillows kits.
If only we could get people into scratch building, then the price would completely drop. The plans are out there for those who look, and at those Ebay prices I'll just cut the parts myself.
Bill Gaylord

Postby H65 Driver » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:05 am

MSRP for a currently in-production 2000-Series kit is $120, and I don't think that'll be decreasing any time soon. While there certainly are retailers that offer these kits at a lower price than MSRP, I don't see much of a problem paying $20-30 more (as I recently did) for a similar kit that is out of production and will most likely never be produced again.
H65 Driver

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 am

I agree with H65 Driver. The B-29 is not rare, but it is never going to be "more common" then it is now. Personally, I don't want to pay $150-$200 for one, but obviously people are willing to. The craziest thing I have seen on eBay besides a Nieuport 11 selling for $75 is the Pfalz D.3 sell for over $150. I can't see why anybody would pay that much for a pretty basic kit with an 18" wingspan. It may be discontinued and rare, but unless there is some significance I am completely missing about that kit, it would actually be a pretty easy scratch build since the construction is relatively simple and the only plastic part to replicate is the nose cowl.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:46 pm

The plastic molded parts are part of the appeal of Guillows kits, and are part of why I've bought them in the past. When I first started building, it was a large appeal, as I was not as creative at shaping and also molding complex parts, but like a detailed scale appearance. For many of these kits, the molded parts are what give them a good scale appearance. I agree that for simple and small models, I can't understand why people wouldn't just cut their own parts, for an 18" span plane. I was at the LHS yeterday looking at a few kits that I was interested in, but once again couldn't get myself to fork out money, for a few formers that I can easily cut by hand. They should at least provide a few molded parts, especially the cowling, and a simulated engine for radial planes. I would base the price of a kit partly on the effort required to hand fabricate the more complex parts.
Bill Gaylord

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 pm

I don't have a problem spending $20-$25 for a SPAD or Nieuport 28, but spending well over $100 on virtually the same kit is foolish.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Arlo DiPasquale wrote:I don't have a problem spending $20-$25 for a SPAD or Nieuport 28, but spending well over $100 on virtually the same kit is foolish.

Exactly.
Bill Gaylord

Postby BillParker » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:22 pm

I have about 50 kits left, (after my winter building spree) in stock on the shelf in the garage. These kits all came from E-Bay, save one Guillow's B=17 that I bought at the LHS over 15 years ago. (no, really 15 years... sheeeeesh) I paid exactly $20 bucks or less for wach of them and that includes the freight. This includes a second B-17 kit, so I have 2 of em. I simply look at the shipping cost, subtract from 20 and that's my maximum bid. If I don't win, oh well, (I average about one win in ten auctions) I bid on the next one that comes along. Right this minute there are 200 Guilow's auctions going on. Every kit from the little plastic bag balsa gliders to the Big stuff. Some of the auctions are posted by actual local hobby shops trying to off load their inventory, and they're the ones who are generally in love with their merchandise, as they're starting bids will tell you. When a kit retails for say 79 bucks, and they want to start the bidding at 69... Their cover is blown. But if you follow this stuff as closely as I do, you'll see very quickly that most of the time those auctions don't sell. No bids 6 days later. Like I said, stick your price that you're will to pay, and wait for the next one if you don't win... (and... I have the plans for the Superfortress, so they can all pound sand...)

my 2.5 cents...

bp
BillParker

Postby BillParker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 pm

VINTAGE GUILLOW'S "B-29 SUPERFORTRESS" Kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200752540389?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

This is a Guillow's B-29 "ENOLA GAY" Bomber kit no. 2005. This excellent balsa wood model is a giant 1/32nd scale. It has a wingspan of 53 inches and a length of 37 1/2. The box was opened to look at the plans, all the model parts are in like new condition. This kit has many detailed parts to build a fantastic model airplane. Box is in excellent condition. I listed this kit used because the box has been opened. I will box the kit carefully to try an protect kit during shipping. Please email any questions prior to bidding. Item sold as is. We prefer payment thru Pay Pal. Shipping is only within the United States. No international shipping. Item will be shipped USPS Priority Mail. Shipping cost is $13.75 for this item.
BillParker

Postby simpleflyer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:23 pm

....my 2.5 cents...

Thanks, Bill, for revealing your Ebay marketing strategy. A lot of wisdom in that paragraph. I'll keep it in mind next time I do some Ebay shopping. We sold some old plastic at ModelMania at Stafford Centre this past weekend so we have a few extra bux in our jeans :wink: So we may be looking for some old Guillows kits.

BTW, we need to get together some time for a flying/bull session, sometimes.

Take care,

Al
simpleflyer

Postby BillParker » Tue May 01, 2012 9:01 am

BTW, we need to get together some time for a flying/bull session, sometimes.

I'm getting ready to start cutting parts for the dauntless, come on over, I'll put you to work!

bp
BillParker

Postby BillParker » Mon May 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Guillows B-29 Superfortess the Enola Gay Kit N. 2005 NIB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guillows-B-29-Superfortess-the-Enola-Gay-Kit-N-2005-NIB-/200755771590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebdf9f8c6

You are bidding on one (1) Guillows B-29 Superfortess the Enola Gay Kit N. 2005 NIB
This is a rare Guillows kit that has been out of production for a while. The kit can be built for show, or converted to RC if you have experience with doing “off plans” modifications.
1/32 scale 7/16” = 1’
Wing Span 53”
Length 37 ½ “
Contents include easy reading plans, unique cut a part work sheets, vacuum formed plastic engines, nacelle shells & nose cowls, gun turrets, observation domes, dummy bomb clusters & nose canopy. Precision die-cut balsa parts and a generous supply of balsa strip stock & covering tissues. Can also be built as a Korean War bomber, special decals included.
This is a new kit still in the original seal. The kit has never been opened.
Will make a great addition to any collection. We will be listing other model kits from this collection separately. Please be sure to see our other listings.
Please see photos for further details.
US BIDDERS ONLY PLEASE!
PAYMENT IN US FUNDS ONLY!
Please check back frequently, I will be selling a TON of really premium stuff for the next few months.
Thanks for looking!
BillParker

Postby BillParker » Sun May 13, 2012 12:29 pm

VINTAGE GUILLOWS B-29 BOMBER SUPERFORTRESS LARGE KIT COMPLETE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GUILLOWS-B-29-BOMBER-SUPERFORTRESS-LARGE-KIT-COMPLETE-/251060812440?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7463fa98

FOR SALE IS A VINTAGE GUILLOWS B-29 SUPERFORTRESS. THIS A IS A VERY LARGE KIT COMPLETE. BOX HAS RIPPED CORNERS
BillParker

Postby simpleflyer » Sun May 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks, Bill, for finding and giving me this version of the Guillows B-29. I will post more information about it and the series on the Guillows sheetwood model thread.
SC_05-07-12 _B29ktM.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simpleflyer

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions