CloudBuster and Flyboy - an evolutionary experience.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: CloudBuster and Flyboy - an evolutionary experience.

Postby regular guy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:14 pm

saw this post during first visit here
that is first class work
i have two Build-N-Fly kits before your two
goldwing & cadet
how long is the the U-Control string?
how do you launch it?
regular guy

Postby simpleflyer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:14 am

Thank you for your comment and your interest.

We use different pole and line length combinations for flying. Since we have been using the 12 foot long swing pole it simplifies determining line length. In windy turbulant weather we use a line lenght equal to or shorter than the pole length. This greatly reduces the likelyhood of hitting the ground while flying.

When the air is stable and calm we can use a line longer than the pole length. Currently, we are limited to about 18 feet of line. 18 feet of line and 12 feet of pole give us a potential 30 foot flight circle radius which results in a 60 foot flight circle diameter. Due to the obstructions in our backyard flying field, this is the maximum flight circle that we can fly without hitting something.

Launching with the short line is easy,. Simply raise the pole to a vertical position until the model is off the ground and start swinging the model.

With the long line it is a bit tricky. I extend the pole in my left hand to my left with the pole parallel to the ground. This leaves about 6 feet ot line which I can grasp with my right hand. I grab it about the middle of the six feet of line and swing the the model above my head until it reaches a good flight speed. Then I release the model to fly towards the extended tip of the pole and line. The models are trimmed for straight and level flight. When the model gets out to 30 feet away, I start swinging the model in swing flight. As soon as possible, I switch th pole to my right hand as I am right handed and feel more comfortable flying with that hand.

However with practice, I've learned to fly with my left hand, also. This is useful when taking inflight photos of the models. I can take pictures with the right hand while swinging with the left.
Last edited by simpleflyer on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:50 am

Continuing the evolutionary experience. In June of 2010 we again decided to change the wing mounting system on the CloudBuster and the FlyBoy. We were looking for something simpler than rubber bands and cheaper than magnets. A slide-on wing and tail mounting system was developed. It retains the platform mounted to the top of the fuselage as had been used with the rubber band mounting scheme. It works best with a flat platform attached to the top of the fuselage. If the tails or wings are flat sheet type sections the platform may be attached to the bottom of the fuselage as well.
SC_06-16-10ar.JPG

The other part of the system are these rails attached to the flying surface. First two strips are attached to the bottom of the flying surface. The strips are the same thickness as the mounting platform on the fuselage and are spaced apart the width of the mounting platform. Next two wider strips are attached. They overhang the strips so as to capture the mounting platform when they are slid onto it.
SC_12-09-11a.jpg

A wing and horizontal tail partially slid into place.
SC_06-19-10cr.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:00 am

CloudBuster I and the Super Cloudbuster with their slide-on wings.
SC_06-16-10br.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:15 am

In September 2010, we built our second CloudBuster. The wing was shorted one bay on each side. A flat center section was added to allow for the slide-on wing mount rails. The nose was simplified and more streamlined. Tail surfaces were slightly reduced in size.
SC_09-07-10arM.JPG

GloudBuster II ready for cover.
SC_09-09-10crM.JPG

Covered and ready to fly.
SC_09-10-10bM.JPG
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:23 am

CloudBuster II proved to be a good flyer and was given to Bill Parker. (If you read this , Bill. Do you still have this model, and how did it fly for you?)
SC_09-11-10eM.jpg
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:26 pm

In September of 2011 we built Cloudbuster.#3. It had the simplified fuselage of CB#2 and a flat center section was built so a removable wing could be used.
SC_09-02-11aM.JPG

CloudBuster #3 ready for cover.
SC_09-03-11aM.jpg

CloudBuster #3 with CloudBuster #1
SC_09-03-11cM.jpg
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:37 pm

CloudBuster #3 covered and ready to fly.
SC_09-04-11bM.jpg

It flys as well as the first one.
SC_09-05-11a1M.jpg

Later in September FlyBoy #2 was built with a stick fuselage and fitted with a removable wing. We are using removeable wings and tail parts on nearly all of our swing control models. The extra effort is more than compensated by the ease of storage and transportation. Plus the removable wing acts as a 'weak-link' in the event of crashes and hard landings reducing the chance of severe damage in such events.
SC_09-20-11cM.jpg
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:46 pm

FlyBoy #2 ready for cover.
SC_09-25-11aM.jpg

FlyBoy #2 with FlyBoy #1.
SC_09-25-11bM.jpg

FlyBoy #2 covered and ready to fly.
SC_09-28-11aM.jpg
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:58 pm

FlyBoy #2 flys very well.
SC_10-02-11dM.jpg

It flys so well that a spare FlyBoy wing was built. This is from the Guillows produced kit. It has laser cut ribs and the wing is designed with extra spars.
SC_10-08-11b3M.jpg

Recently, we standardised the wing mountings on all of the CloudBusters and FlyBoys so that they can be interchanged with each other. With the exception of the smaller profile Yak15 at the top of the picture, all the wings and fuselages may be exchanged with each other
SC_11-18-11SCFgrpM.jpg
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:17 am

If anyone is wondering about the function of the oatmeal container in the previous post. It is our current 'tote' for our backyard flying sessions. All the models in the picture fit into it. So, all we need to go flying is a tote full of planes and a swing pole. Can't be much simpler :wink:
SC_11-18-11SCF_mod_stowM.jpg
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:23 am

A side-effect of frequent flying is various levels of damage to the models. Top is a simple separation of the wing mount strips(FlyBoy #2). Bottom is a complete break of the wing of FlyBoy#3.
SC_12-20-11a.JPG

Closer view of the separated mount strips.
SC_12-20-11b.jpg

Both in process of repair. #3 is now ready to fly. #2 needs cover.
SC_12-20-11c.JPG
Last edited by simpleflyer on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 am

A couple of flight pix on this past Sathurday, the 108th anniversary of Wrights flight at Kitty Hawk. :D First the CloudBuster#1.
SC_12-17-11a.JPG

CloudBuster#3 mated with FlyBoy#1 wing.
SC_12-17-11b.JPG
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:19 am

Wednesday afternoon we did some flights with the AirBoy wing with the repaired mounting strips. It flew well, so we tried it on three fuselages. First on the AirBoy stick.
SC_12-21-11a.jpg

Next with the CloudBuster#3 fuselage.
SC_12-21-11b.jpg

Then with the CloudBuster#1 fuselage.
SC_12-21-11c.jpg
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Our neighbor's grown son and daughter came over today to visit the 'old folks' and exchange gifts before returning home. The son was interested in the swing models, so we went to the backyard for some flying 'show and tell' with the CloudBuster. We let him fly it and he was doing well until and sudden gust caused a hard landing on the model's nose with this result.
SC_12-26-11aM.JPG

It was easily repaired.
SC_12-26-11bM.JPG

And by evening it was flying again.
SC_12-26-11dM.JPG
simpleflyer

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions