Cessna 180 Group Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Cessna 180 Group Build

Postby Steve Blanchard » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Hello everyone! I just wanted to post an update about my Cessnna 180. In the FAC (Flying Aces Club) we fly an event called The Mail. It is in honor of the brave pilots who flew the first air mail across the country back in the golden age of aviation. They had to take off and land from rough, sometimes (most times) dangerous home made airstrips in the middle of nowhere to get the mail through. The event requires a minimum of 3 flyers to ROG their aircraft from a runway determined by the holder of the "wings" (I'll get to those in a minute). The plane would then have to fly for a reasonable duration and then land on the ground somewhere in the field, preferably on it's gear and remain that way. After it lands it must sit in that spot until it's next turn. So if it is raining, or windy, or snowing, or whatever, it will be left to the elements therefore making it harder each time to get a good take off and flight. So the planes must be stout yet stable in flight. So I couldn't think of a better candidate for my entry than the Guillow's Cessna 180. All I had to do was add a door to the fuselage that the mail would be loaded into (This is just inked onto the side of the fuselage to represent the door) and come up with a name for my airline. I chose U-Haul airlines. Contestants usually come up with creative and funny names with back stories. I'll be working on mine to better it. Anyway, the Cessna performed 3 perfect take offs and only landed in a low tree once so I was 2 for 3 in the main rounds along with one other flyer. We then Had a fly off and I had 2 more perfect take offs and landing. I now hold the wings thanks too my Cessna. It really is a great little plane when trimmed out well. The "wings" are actual pilots wings from the airmail from the early 30's. They were supplied by one of the co-founders of the FAC, Bob Thompson and Dave Stott. I'm not sure which one actually put them in place and they are both gone now so I may never know, but they are rich with history and meaning to our squadron of the FAC in Connecticut. To have possession of something like this at least once in my life is of great importance.

Thanks for reading,

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Phugoid » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:45 pm

What an excellent story Steve, well done on winning your wings...

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby Steve Blanchard » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks Andrew. Below are a couple of pics from the event.

This first one is of one of the pilots attempting a take off. Note the hazardous runway in both length and structure. Many flyers ended up in the drink at the end of the very short runway. This added much weight to the planes for the next round. The Pilot is actually a Nate, the son of the guy taking the picture. He was helping out John Stott pictured next to him get a good launch from the ice, I mean runway.

This next one is the group shot at the end of the contest each holding their mailplane. I of course am the guy holding the red Cessna with the flannel jacket.

Thanks again for your interest,

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Phugoid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm

k
Last edited by Phugoid on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phugoid

Postby Steve Blanchard » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Hey Andrew,

What do you mean half of me?

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Phugoid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:02 pm

T
Last edited by Phugoid on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phugoid

Postby Steve Blanchard » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:08 pm

No apology needed. I just wanted to be sure it was working OK.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Steve Blanchard » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:57 am

There's not enough water in that bog for a good contest!
Steve Blanchard

Postby Marshdweller » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:15 am

Much later than planned, I have made a start on this kit.

The fuselage was a bit of a challenge (I had to break the tail join and reglue it a couple of times to straighten out the fuselage - even now I'm not sure it's perfect).

The tail section was more straightforward and looks reassuringly strong.

Work on the wings is almost complete (at this point I am laminating the leading edges, hence the right wing being pinned back on the plans in a rather random position):

Marshdweller

Postby Phugoid » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Lookin' good, keep us posted.

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm

w
Last edited by Phugoid on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phugoid

Postby Marshdweller » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:58 am

So, after all the building, covering, recovering (in a couple of places), I start to assemble the model and notice my rudder and stabiliser are slightly warped. This is really frustrating as I kept them weighted down equal heights above a nice, solid, level surface while drying.

Are there any good ways of removing warps? Help!
Marshdweller

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:17 am

Marshdweller,

When it comes to tail feathers for rubber powered models I just don't shrink them. Put the tissue on and then take some Krylon Crystal Clear and spray a couple of very light coats. let that dry and then assemble the plane. If you are doing something large and and you are reinforcing the tails in some way then shrinking is fine. I vote that you tear off the tissue and then re-cover. It may be a pain but you'll be happy you did.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Marshdweller » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:34 am

Steve Blanchard wrote:Marshdweller,

When it comes to tail feathers for rubber powered models I just don't shrink them. Put the tissue on and then take some Krylon Crystal Clear and spray a couple of very light coats. let that dry and then assemble the plane. If you are doing something large and and you are reinforcing the tails in some way then shrinking is fine. I vote that you tear off the tissue and then re-cover. It may be a pain but you'll be happy you did.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that it is the tissue that warps the structure, not that the wood is now permanently distorted?

The most frustrating thing is that I think they survived the original shrinking in perfect condition, it was the 'doping' with PVA and water that did the damage.
Marshdweller

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:08 am

Definitely certain dopes can shrink the tissue even more. I have a few planes that have the dreaded potato chip effect going on even with everything I try to do to avoid it. It's unfortunately the way of the game. You can also pre-shrink the tissue before applying to the tails. This can lead to crinkly looking surfaces though. The structure under the tissue should be fine.

Good Luck,
Steve
Last edited by Steve Blanchard on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Blanchard

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions