I took some time today and finished my Nieuport II. I used Esaki Red, White and Blue tissue attached with 50/50 Elmers/water glue mixture. The wings and side cowling were covered in EasyBuilt Silver Tissue. I then brushed on 2 coats of Aerogloss clear dope. I painted the plastic parts with Testors Paint. Total weight is 79grams as shown. I made my own decals, and made the cowling able to come off completely. If I cannot get the plane to fly with rubber, it will be easy to convert to electric. I also took Guillows advise and reinforced the landing gear with wire.
Beautiful work on that model scigs. I especially like the nose plug - how tight a fit is that? I'm still trying to figure out how to do those well. Any info on the construction of it would be helpful to me.
Jpuke, the nose is a real tight fit. As far as building, there is no tricks, just trial and error for the correct fit. The plastic glued to balsa is done with slow CA so I can adjust as necessary. Now if I convert to electric, the cowl will be held on with magnets.
Is the former with the squared opening the one that came with the kit or did you add some extra wood to make it thicker? It looks almost 1/8" thick. I'm impressed by the extremely square cut you made - dremel or something else?
That is the former that came with the kit. I built the fuselage first then cut the square out. I used a ruler and pencil to draw it then freehand cut it out with an xacto knife. I glued 3/32 strips of spruce behind the former to reinforce it.
Words cannot describe how awesome the planes look . They must be pretty in the air. What are you using for power in the big one? I like the color scheme, I might do something similiar for an rc biplane I'm finishing up.
Current favorite airplane: P-40 warhawk, F-35 is close second
Yea, I like the tissue look also. I think my next WWII RC planes will be covered in silkspan and doped. Today I finished my last Nieuport and used the Comet box markings. This plane was not all that heavy until I had to balance her. I added a couple of metal washers to the nose and used the heavy tires and she balances pretty good and weighs 18 grams. That is a little heavy for a Peanut, but I am confident she will fly. I covered her in Domestic white, blue, brown and red tissue. For these small birds I have switched from Esaki to Domestic so I don't have to deal with pre shrinking or major warpage.
The only suggestion I'd make is to string them up.
I love the little Comet one. I have the Comet Fokker D7 that I finished a little while back. It was a great kit. One of the local art stores (now out of business) enlarged my Comet plans to the scale of the Guillow's Nieuport 11. I have to further modify them so that the plane doesn't weigh 100 pounds, but it should be fun reguardless!
I was also thinking of converting a Nieuport 11 into a Neiuport 17 by using the cowling from the Sopwith Camel.