Arrow Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 pm

RC Hobby is in Sugarland...

(remember the movie, Goldie Hawn... Sugarland Run?) No really... right down the road from there...

It's on 59 at Williams Trace...

M&M Hobby is down in Bellaire... About 30 minutes east of Katy by toll road...

http://www.mmhobby.com/

M&M is famous for their R/C car tracks outdoors, but they take care of us airplane guys pretty good...
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 pm

heres my jig-
right here is when i am dopeing

when i shrunk and when i doped i did it panel by panel:

some washout

access hole for ease of sticking the rubber in

cant believe that turned out out like that, but what can i do now...

total weight now with stab, rudder attached/glued, wing w/2 rubber bands, and the three hardwood pegs is about 30-31gs.
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:39 pm

two words...

holy cr*p!

:lol:
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby ADW 123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:55 am

of course, Mr. Parker, the fun on this one is just begining.
ADW 123

Postby supercruiser » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:55 am

Simply marvelous.
supercruiser

Postby ADW 123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:13 am

i will say i was a little dissatisfied on how the covering turned out. i think i can do better than that...
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:44 am

Nice work ADW, it looks super, the colours are great. As I said to you before the thing will always fly with a few wrinkles, never with a badly aligned/warped flying surface. I have a peanut Nesmith Cougar, the covering is absolutely awful, but it's straight and true and therfore flies great.

Bill I'm still laughing at your two words. Please do not take this the wrong way, just think of it as a British eccentricity on our part, but when people say that in an Texan Accent we (I) always laugh a lot. Perhaps it's a thing we've seen a lot in movies? It certainly brigtened up a dull day.

My advice for what it's worth ADW is to take time and take logical steps during your trimming, build up slow and when you encounter a problem change just one thing at a time, note the effect, and then perhaps try something else. Don't rush!

Also pick a BIG field. It's really quite a light big old Henry that you've got there, it will fly away!
Phugoid

Postby ADW 123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:24 am

thanks Phugoid. im looking forward to learning how to make those wheels... im ready when you are. i gave this thing a little gentle test glide onto the bed and it just completly floated on top of the air. if a little test glide means anything, this thing will fly very well. what thickness for rubber? i was thinking about doing 1.25 x hook to peg length. also, info on how to bend the wire prop shaft so that the other end will have a "o" ring on it so i can use a winder on it would be nice.

need an opinion or two on this. should i add the paper pattern, exaust plastic parts, and the tissue that goes over where the wing rests, or should i omitt it? i like things to look good, but i also want em to fly....
ADW 123

Postby Squishyp38 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Yep, That sure is a Buet'
(beautiful)
Nice work! I love the color scheme...... you should do that on all your models!
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Phugoid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah sorry for the wheels, as you can tell by my slow Cessna build I've not been able to do much, mainly due to work pressures. Evenings have been filled with reading technical docs, not balsa wood. I'll try and have a go before the weekend.

I'd fit the the paper parts, I'm not keen on the plastic parts personally, but see what it looks like.
Phugoid

Postby supercruiser » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm

ADW 123 wrote:what thickness for rubber?

What do the plans recommend? If nothing else, I would try 4 strands of 1/8".
1.25 peg to hook, sounds reasonable to me.

ADW 123 wrote:need an opinion or two on this. should i add the paper pattern, exaust plastic parts, and the tissue that goes over where the wing rests, or should i omitt it? i like things to look good, but i also want em to fly....

If you like it to look good, then go all the way. You've got a nice model, you can afford the small weight increase to really set it off with some detail parts. What about markings? Kit decals? Custom design or just leave it plain tissue?
supercruiser

Postby ADW 123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 pm

sorry to hear that phugoid. maybe you could just tell me the first steps since it will be a while, so then i have something to distract me...

supercruiser, the problem is, the plastic bits arent colored, so i would have to paint them too. also, i want to add a ring to the prop shaft so then i can use my winder on it. is there a way to put on the spinner so it is removeable, or am i better just not useing it? ill be using the kit decals. i dont have any fancy machines to make me custom decals.
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:25 pm

You need to get some Aluminium tube with an internal diameter is a bit of a clearence on the wire of your u/c leg, this will be the hub of your nice new wheels. A compass cutter is good but not 100% required.

You don't need the hook by the way, you can wind and then put the prop on......
Phugoid

Postby ADW 123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:30 pm

thats a good point. is that what most people do with their rubber?? it wont damage it at all?

where do you find these tubes? could i use brass?
ADW 123

Postby supercruiser » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:29 pm

You may be able to cover the plastic parts with the kit tissue and glue it using Elmers.
Here is an example from my Spitifire cowling. I wet the tissue with a 50/50 glue and water. Smooth it out and let dry. If the part you are covering does not have sharp or pronounced compound curves this method should do o.k.

http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/image_d ... 78&offset=
supercruiser

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions