Arrow Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby ADW 123 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:38 pm

thats interesting. the only problem is, this wing here is a polyhedral. that makes it difficalt to hold down like that if you think about it. seems like that is for bigger wings too. maybe ill make myself one of those if i ever go that much bigger.
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 am

I'd still use the Banana oil, the point being that all your shrinking should be done with the water (those pesky ones left can be got rid of with good old fashioned spit(!) and a soft brush) Ie you should only dope to seal, not to shrink......

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:07 am

you do bring up a good point. its enuff to make me use the bannana oil. ill have to get some in a larger quantity. where do you get yours? last time i had to order from france cuz i couldnt find much in the states.

i also had an interesting time with the top of the fuse in between where the wing goes in the front and where the cockpit is. i think that the way the structure is there, just isnt strong enuff and it wrinkled a little.
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:54 pm

I get mine if I mail order from SAMS in the UK:

http://www.samsmodels.com

However I still have a good old fashioned (I mean really old fashioned) model shop. I've been to it since I was a kid, I used to go in along with another one which closed down 15 or so years back (this is a small market town which had TWO privately owned model shops!)

It's run by two old folks, they must be in thier late 70's/ 80's. He looks after the Hornby trains, she looks after the general model stuff. She is very good at selecting balsa and I go down there on my lunch every now and again and but half a dozen sheets or so, it only costs less than 75 pence ($1) a sheet, and she just stands there patiently as I pick out the best sheets. Anyhow they still stock the Banana oil, only in little glass jars, but to be honest I'd rather pay the few extra pence and help keep them in business, I'm sure that in a few years it will be gone.......
Phugoid

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:09 pm

i really wish we had a place like that one in the states. it would make my life easier. i dont like ordering from over seas. for one it takes much longer for somehting to come in, and two you often have to pay more for shipping.

the people who run my hobby shop are quite clueless when it comes to balsa wood models. they also know very little about the other things they are selling (it seems to me).
ADW 123

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:49 pm

finished weight covered is 28.5 g
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:07 pm

to be honest I'd rather pay the few extra pence and help keep them in business, I'm sure that in a few years it will be gone.......

The LHS I goto is owned by the "high school kid" who used to work there. His boss decided to close the store, and the kid said "heck no!" and bought it from him. He "Bucky," (no kidding) has since quadrupled the size of the store, and on weekends he has 10 to 15 countermen working the place.

My point being, Mr. Phugoid: figure out some way to buy the place from em!

http://www.rchobbyshop.com

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby supercruiser » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:17 pm

ADW 123 wrote:finished weight covered is 28.5 g

:shock: :shock: :D
supercruiser

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:23 pm

supercruiser, why the shock? is that a good weight for this thing?

i wouldnt rele know....
ADW 123

Postby supercruiser » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:30 pm

That is a shocking low weight for a model using the kit wood.
Shockingly nice.
I think I should have expressed it in this notation:
:shock: :shock: . :shock:

A little more than half the target weight isn't it? Of course this is without rubber and propeller. Should be a really nice flier.
supercruiser

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm

the prop, prop shaft, motor peg, wing pegs (2) and plastic parts weighed about 10gs total.
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:15 pm

ADW your Arrow should be a real floater.

Wow Bill that looks like an amazing shop.

Problem is that this place is a small Victorian building in a mostly Victorian town somewhat in decline, and I guess that 80% of their business comes from the Hornby trains (which I know nothing about, other than having one)

It is a nice thought, perhaps when I have a little less to lose (like the family home) I'd give it a go....
Phugoid

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:19 pm

LOL on ur last part phugoid...

i havent had a real good flyer... im still pretty new to it. im sure this one if it did fly nicly, would lift my spirits a little on this whole rubber power thing. i have build about 6 or 7 rubber powered models. non of which really did fly to my satisfaction, which is why ive tried again... and again... and again...
ADW 123

Postby BillParker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:25 pm

It's a nice shop, and fortunately for us here, only one shop of 10 or so that are withiin reasonable driving distance. (keep in mind that "driving distance" is a relative term in Texas, where distance=time over velocity... :D )

Problem is none of our shops stock butyrate dope anymore, because nobuddy buys it.

You see, THEY SELL, WHAT THEY SELL...

Danged ARF's...
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby H65 Driver » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Bill, what part of town is that shop in? I grew up in Galveston and also lived in Friendswood for 5 years. I still go back to visit family in the area, so I'm always looking for diversions when I get tired of the folks.
H65 Driver

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions