Pros and Cons of Different Glues

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Pros and Cons of Different Glues

Postby coop000 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:16 am

I was trying to figure out what are the pros and cons of different glues. Just at my house I have CA, Elmers, wood glue, 5 minute epoxy and aliphatic glue. And I was just trying to figure out where each would be best suited and if there are others that I left out.
coop000

Postby scigs30 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:51 am

For me it is Elmer's white glue for all construction and attaching Tissue to the frame. I use slow CA to glue plastic to wood, and plastic cement to glue plastic to plastic. I have never used epoxy on freeflight. I like using Elmers because it dries clear and slow enough I can adjust parts before they dry.
scigs30

Postby supercruiser » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Lately, I have been using Ambroid glue. I think it's lighter weight than Elmer's and I'm guessing lighter than CA. Dries in about 30 seconds or a little more. Most of the time thats good.

Costs more than Elmer's and has some odor. Not bad, or maybe my sense of smell isn't so good.
supercruiser

Postby thymekiller » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:56 am

Different glues for different stuff. I used to favor cya until this most recent model. Also the work by scrigs30 is very inpressive. Cant get glue joints like that with cya.
There was another thread about this with a link to a super ambroid. Does anyone know where it is?
What is ambroid?

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby thymekiller » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:05 am

One of the reasons I favored cya is that you can attach tissue with glue stick and repairs are a breeze with having ths structure fall appart.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/super_phatic ... 6_prd1.htm
Found that link for a glue a want to try. Cant find the forum link.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby scigs30 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:55 am

I have seen awesome looking planes built with Elmer's, Titebond Yellow, CA, Testors wood glue, Duco and Ambroid. I think the bottom line is use what ever works best for you. Remember no matter what glue you use, it is the quality of the joint that counts. Also, except for CA most joints require double gluing. Basically all this entails is placing glue on one part, putting the parts together and take the parts apart. Apply a little more glue and put the parts back together again. Experiment with this and you will see how much faster the glue dries and how much stronger the joint is. Good luck. Have to go build the wings to my Cub. :lol:
scigs30

Postby thymekiller » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 pm

I think David Duckett is right. Oops, :oops:
Gonna give Elmers another try. Great excuse to build a few more planes. :lol: :lol:
thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby SteveM » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:41 pm

David Duckett wrote:I believe CYA is a military term, not a glue.

I guess I've got to stop using CYA to refer to the Canadian Yachting Association :lol:
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/CYA

I found out that I have one allergy, CA glue fumes give me cold-like symptoms. Since that discovery I use PVA type glues as much as I can and CA in places where I must and I still use epoxy in appropriate places where called out for, such as the landing gear. Some kits, such as those that are CAD drawn and laser cut, have such tight joints that thin CA really is the best.

No single glue is perfect for every situation, but if you can stand CA fumes then a selection of thin, medium, and thick CA will go a long way.
SteveM

Postby SteveM » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:46 pm

Also, on this page scroll down to the "Adhesives" section to get another opinion. Actually, his whole website has a lot of good information.
http://www.ffscale.co.uk/comp1.htm
SteveM

Postby coop000 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks, that was almost exactly what I was looking for. Very informative.
coop000

Postby TJH » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:34 am

I have been using Great Planes aliphatic resin and it has been working out well for me.

Along with CYA being a military term, it is also used in our office; "Cover Your Authority"!
TJH

Return to General Building Questions