Does anyone fly there kits?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Does anyone fly there kits?

Postby terrywolfpack » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm

I was just wondering if anyone flys there kits? and if so how are they? thanks terry
terrywolfpack

Postby SteveM » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:36 pm

I haven't got the rubber power figured out yet, but my electric RC P-51 did well until the ESC failure and will hopefully do well again as soon as I get good flying weather.

If you are interesting in electric RC then check out this list of Guillow's conversions maintained by Smokin' Beaver.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827861

If you are interested in rubber power then the 2009 G Challenge would probably get you started on the right kits and provide motivation and support from fellow competitors.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/guillows_g_challenge/
SteveM

Postby supercruiser » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:37 pm

Here is a previous discussion about this subject.
http://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... =fly+queen

Seems that there are more people starting to fly them, lately. FLYBOYZ, is having a blast flying his Guillow Cessna 170.

I build all mine to fly with rubber band power. Thats about 7 Guillow models. The Fairchild 24 is one of my best. I think the 600 and 700 series are good flying models.
supercruiser

Postby TJH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:40 am

Terry,
I usually build all of my kits with the intention of flying them. I pretty much stay on course with the plans and maybe strengthen some areas if needed. I don't get too fancy however I do like them to look somewhat nice.
I have my pics posted on Virtual Aerodrome now.
Tim
TJH

Postby TJH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:42 am

By the way, a nice flying kit is the 900 series Bird Dog. I have had success with just about every Guillow kit that I built.
TJH

Postby thymekiller » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:00 am

I used to build just to the bones. Then I covered one and threw it. Been hooked ever since.

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Ya 2000 hours

Postby James » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:37 pm

James

Postby bsadonkill » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Every balsa model i have built was with the intention to fly it. Most of my models are rubber, but i have tryed free flight gas and control line too. I have built Guillows kits, Comet kits , Easybuilt kits, Peck and Polymer kits, Micro X kits, R/N kits, and i have also built models from Cleveland Plans.Models like the Lanser, Arrow, Fly boy and Cloud buster were designed to fly as rubber models.
bsadonkill

Postby scigs30 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:09 pm

I have built many Guillow kits and flown them. You can search my builds under user name scigs30. The small WWII planes will fly, but they are tough to trim. The larger Guillow kits are more for gas so I have not built them for rubber powered. The 300 series also fly ok. I don't get too crazy about detailing or painting my planes. One reason is because it makes them heavier. I try to use Esaki tissue or if there is a certain color I want I will use Domestic tissue.
scigs30

Postby terrywolfpack » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Wow thats pretty neat... Its good that people are flying these planes instead of just looking at them at because i'm the type if you don't crash and burn you won't learn and sometimes that just happens but to me if i spent 30 hrs or 40 I just can't bring myself to just look at it i would rather fly it and take the chance and have fun that's what this hobby is all about fun and meeting and talking to cool people...
terrywolfpack

Postby thymekiller » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Thats a very cool atittude dude. When I first started this, I lived in complete fear of crashing all that work. :lol: :lol:
Since then I have learned that learning to fly means crashing. Its still scary to me but the fact is, you will never really fly if your scared of crashing.

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby TJH » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:43 pm

Hello Thymekiller,
I agree with you; these birds are meant to fly, or at least a gallant attempt 8) . Usually they are easy to repair, and if you have to build another one, you already are on the good side of the learning curve doing it again and can more than likely spend less time on the next build.
TJH

Postby FLYBOYZ » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi I have learned to fly over tall grassy area saves you tones of work.On a windy day build planes keeping her in one piece.And when she flyes out of test area you ready.Just make sure you don,t put her in a stall.Trimm her out good before power flights using trim tabs and count on thrust its a killer.But its the coolest thing ever. 8)
FLYBOYZ

Postby bsadonkill » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:04 pm

At first i was afraid to fly my models, but after a while you get tired of looking at them. Scale models tend to take more time, and are harder to trim for flight. Guillows 600 series is a good place to start, they build fast and easy, and are fun and relaxing to build. :wink:
bsadonkill

Postby FLYBOYZ » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:50 pm

YES I agree with you basdonkill I realy love the scale jobs and I put alot of time in them but they all have to go for a test.I just can,t help my self.The p40 has been my best yet in flight but she thends to roll to the left due to trust and trouqe factor need power to get them going.Iam looking more into the 600 series to be my main flyers.I do want to try the lancer or the javelin next. 8)
FLYBOYZ

Next

Return to General Building Questions