Kit 901, T28

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Kit 901, T28

Postby BugEater » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 pm

So I've decided to keep outta trouble for the last few days before I turn 21, so I'm going to build the T28... for flight. Any tips on how to get better flight characteristics out of it? I've already cut out a little on the fuselage formers and sanded everything down a little bit to get the weight down. Anything else? Tips on trimming for flight. Thanks.
-Jon
BugEater

Postby supercruiser » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 pm

I have built and flown this particular model. You can see it on www.virtualaerodrome.com
I can only suggest that you use different colored tissue for a color scheme instead painting, to save weight.
For flying, I was told that the model suffered from spiral instability. He said the cure was to add more dihedral.
supercruiser

Postby RG WILLIAMS » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 am

BugEater,

The fuselege should be as evenly built as possible. Check out the post by supercruiser on "squaring up the fuselage". This technique can be used for all 900 series ac.

Enter MARIN AERO CLUB They offer for free " An Introductory Guideline to Building and Flying Model Aeroplanes".

Look at Mike's Flying Scale Model Pages Also very good info.

Check out the Youtube vid on flying the 900 series Typhoon and Chipmunk. These 900 series AC can fly.
Build light behind the COG.
rg
RG WILLIAMS

Postby TJH » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:40 am

Please keep posting your progress as I have a T-28 on my shelf in the box yet as well as a Chipmunk. I am working on a Cherokee now and have limited building time so it will be a while yet.

I agree with RG; I have had good flying success with the 900 series kits.

Tim
TJH

Postby supercruiser » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 am

I think one problem with the 900 series is the wing attachment to the fuselage is too weak. If you haven't built your wings, yet. I recommend cutting your wing spars long enough for the ends to almost touch each other when the wings are joined to the fuselage. Then join the spars (inside the fuselage) with a balsa doubler. Take a look at www.virtualaerdrome.com and look at the picture of my 900 series Mustang. I think it's former D on the T-28 thats adjacent the wing spars and makes for a good place to put the doubler and glue all these together.
supercruiser

Postby BugEater » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:51 am

thanks so much for all the advice. the fuselage is almost complete, then on to cutting and applying the stringers. I've checked and rechecked the alignment of the fuselage and so far it's dead on. Thanks supercrusier, i have yet to build the wings and will look into strengthening the wing to fuselage connection. pictures will be posted on Virtual Aerodrome soon.
BugEater

Postby BugEater » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:01 pm

Photos on VA now.
BugEater

Postby BugEater » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 pm

Right wing is done, as per the plans, only one stringer on the top surface of the wing and one on the bottom. Not quite sure how that'll work out in the long run but if it's good enough for the plans hopefully it'll be good enough for me. Fuselage is complete, all stringers on. I reduced the number to three on the top and three on the front half of the body and one for the back half of the bottom. Photos will be up after class.
BugEater

Postby BugEater » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Right wing is complete and a photo is up
http://virtualaerodrome.com/image_brows ... 59&offset=
BugEater

Postby thymekiller » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Looks Great !! 8) That fuse is as straight as any I'v seen. Keep up the great work.

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby RG WILLIAMS » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Excellent looking build at this point.
rg
RG WILLIAMS

Return to General Building Questions