Crook!

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby dbcisco » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:57 pm

I only had one problem with online purchases and that was from a major distributor. They sent me a crushed box (as was the contents) and it took two months to get a refund. I wanted an undamaged item but apparently they didn't have one.

I also only got one complaint selling on ebay. a customer bought a clearly stated "untested and as is" item from then refused to pay and left negative feedback because it wasn't working.

Got a couple nice Guillows kits real cheap off ebay though.
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Postby thymekiller » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Like any auction, ya' gotta' be careful. Know what you want, know its value, and wait for a good price.

Again, I have to say that I am glad I signed on this site. Lots of informed folks with valid and proven points of views.
Again, hats off to SteveM. Your research skills blow me away! Folks talking about the high price of such and such kit and again, you come up with a resonable alterative. 50 bucks isnt so bad for an out of production item. If a person REALLY wanted to build THAT plane... heres a realistic way to have it. Well done, sir!
Curious, does Guillows get a piece of that pie, or is it lost to them? I dont know anything about the A.M.A. [ Except that I need to join in order to fly at some competions ]
thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby dbcisco » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:28 pm

Anything over 50 years old is out of copyright. Anything published before 1959 is public domain. So, there is nothing to stop anyone from reprinting pre-1960 plans and selling them.

I gotta look up someone with a big printer/copier. Look for my reprints on the 'bay I'll even keep the price low. ROTFL
dbcisco

Postby Xanadu » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:47 pm

I have purchased quite a few items off EBay, some good deals, others not.
But with the way things are going on it lately, I will be backing off. Not worth the headaches, and rip-offs that are becoming more frequent on a daily level.
Xanadu

Postby Greyhound » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:06 pm

I've bought a few things on Ebay, never been ripped off but I've bought a few things that I've been dissapointed with.
Greyhound

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:31 am

I was just at Ebay tonight and one of the annoying things is a PA shop who has the listings clogged with 2 times retail Guillows kits. Is there a way you can kill off a vendor's listings, when you are viewing Ebay? :P

I look for vintage Guillows and Sterling kits, and weeding through those nonsense listings is time consuming. Guillows has some nice vintage kits I want, and would love to see re-issued. Some I think have a renewed market, since the time of discontinuation. One is the Storch RC conversion I have currently in the Modeler's Photos at the Site. Nice RC flyer with bl outrunner. New interest in WWII Luft planes, and the fact that this is both a nice, and easy Storch build would make it an appealing kit offer.
Bill Gaylord

Postby SteveM » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:53 am

Search the following for Sterling (omit quotes) :
"Sterling (kit,model) -silver -marlin -martin -rover"

To eliminate listings from certain sellers click on "advanced search" and look in the "sellers" area. There you can enter the names of sellers to exclude from your search.

You might also want to save your searches so you don't have to type in all the info each time.
SteveM

Postby dbcisco » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:11 am

Bill Gaylord wrote:I was just at Ebay tonight and one of the annoying things is a PA shop who has the listings clogged with 2 times retail Guillows kits. ....

I know them, and they wonder why they don't do more business.
Of course they aren't the only LHS who charge way over MSRP.
dbcisco

Postby thymekiller » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:31 am

This seems like a good place to ask. What is the best "keyword" to enter at ebay for balsa airplanes kits.? Different keywords get different results, and it seems to change.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby Xanadu » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:34 pm

If its a specific brand, just enter the name..........ie: Guillow

If its any balsa plane, then try balsa as a wildcard.

If a specific kit, enter that specific.

The more specific you can narrow it done for the search, it betters your odds of finding what you want.

I wanted a Top Flite P-40 kit, so I kept searching under "top flite", under toys and hobby's catagory.
Eventually I found one, watched it, bid, and won!
Xanadu

Postby thymekiller » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:06 pm

RATS!!! Lost another e-bay thing. I guess I'm just too much of a cheapskate. Oh well. Maybe next time....
thymekiller

Postby dbcisco » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:04 pm

thymekiller wrote:RATS!!! Lost another e-bay thing. I guess I'm just too much of a cheapskate. Oh well. Maybe next time....

It took me 6 months to get a Camel and SE5 at a good price. You just have to wait it out and don't be temped to spend more than you really want to. BTW, learn what "sniping" is and get good at it, only way to really win on ebay.
dbcisco

Postby thymekiller » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:37 am

I just set a price I willing to pay and thats it. I have never been sniped below my max bid. I dont change my bid just because the sale is almost over. I lost the zero 4 hrs before the end of the sale. There will be another one soon enough. What I really want is the 400 series warhawk. If I dont get one by the time Im ready for it I will just buy it new. Currently have projects till spring. I can wait. 8)
thymekiller

Postby Keithhs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:44 am

Keithhs

Postby Greyhound » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Funny! :lol:
Greyhound

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions