The NEW Guillow's P-38 Lightning...

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby BillParker » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:23 am

Thought everybuddy might be interested to see this:

and just in case you were wondering...

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Xanadu » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:22 pm

And, how does the P-38 fly?
Xanadu

Postby dbcisco » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Looks like something I've seen for less than half the price. Think I'll keep to the balsa kits. Don't really need another 2ch foamie.
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

It flies good and fast...

Postby BillParker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:55 am

It flies good and fast...

Right over the horizon and outta sight!

Hopefully one of the neighbors will find it and bring it back to the "airplane dude."

sheeeesh!

bp
BillParker

Postby thymekiller » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Thats the problem I found with small two channel twins. Nothing against 2 ch. but the lesser costly ones have crap for range. 300 ft circle is about as much as you get. Maybe 500 ft. Need a thousand ft to have any safty zone.
Evil-bay is FULL of that kind of stuff. They are fun, but keep them close. CLOSE! :D
Alot of guys fly them to death, then use the guts for elect. free flight.
thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby dbcisco » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:44 pm

thymekiller wrote:Thats the problem I found with small two channel twins. Nothing against 2 ch. but the lesser costly ones have crap for range. 300 ft circle is about as much as you get. Maybe 500 ft. Need a thousand ft to have any safty zone.
Evil-bay is FULL of that kind of stuff. They are fun, but keep them close. CLOSE! :D
Alot of guys fly them to death, then use the guts for elect. free flight.
thymekiller

That's me. I like buying these things at yard sales, cheap parts! Yay!
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Postby thymekiller » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Do like the bi-plane. Got great love for the work you do with the jumbo stuff. Someday I would like to try it myself. Maybe this summer....

thymekiller
thymekiller

when you start building big...

Postby BillParker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:26 pm

thymekiller:

when you decide to start, let me know as I'll be standing by to help in any way you might need...

I'll be interested to know how you decide to solve some of the problems...

standing by...

gbp
BillParker

Postby thymekiller » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:38 am

Thanks BillParker. I'm guessing its gonna be one of those projects where i cant see the prob till I get there. At this point, the biggest decision is whether or not to try to fly it or just static display. If static, It might wind up in the front yard as a display. Just a thought.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Well, there's your first problem(s)...

Postby BillParker » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:55 am

a.. if it's a flying plane, what will you build it out of? Note that our friend, Kittyfritters has a new thread on this board, "World wide balsa shortage," describing many of the reasons that the price of balsa has shot up in recent weeks. I spent better than $250 on the F6F-3 HELLCAT building with balsa.

see:
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap47.htm

This why I changed to 1/4" pine plywood...

b.. if it's static, and you want to actually display it out doors, you'll need to find glue that really is waterproof. I haven't. Many say they are, but none so far really are.

I tried keeping the P-40 outdoors:

But that didn't turn out so well... That's when I discovered that I have a fan base here in the hood, and folks started asking to be next to receive an airplane.

So, like I said, I'm interested to see how you address some of the problems...

standing by...

bp
BillParker

Re: Well, there's your first problem(s)...

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:15 pm

BillParker wrote:a.. if it's a flying plane, what will you build it out of? Note that our friend, Kittyfritters has a new thread on this board, "World wide balsa shortage," describing many of the reasons that the price of balsa has shot up in recent weeks. I spent better than $250 on the F6F-3 HELLCAT building with balsa.

see:
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap47.htm

This why I changed to 1/4" pine plywood...

b.. if it's static, and you want to actually display it out doors, you'll need to find glue that really is waterproof. I haven't. Many say they are, but none so far really are.

I tried keeping the P-40 outdoors:

But that didn't turn out so well... That's when I discovered that I have a fan base here in the hood, and folks started asking to be next to receive an airplane.

So, like I said, I'm interested to see how you address some of the problems...

standing by...

bp

Bill,

Have you tried TiteBond III ? It's an aliphatic resin, but is rated below the waterline waterproof when cured. I've been using it for most of my models for over a year.

The polyurethane foam glues, such as Gorilla Glue or Lock-Tite wood glue, are absolutely waterproof, used in boat building, but need clamping. The excess squeezed out of the joint cures to urethane foam and is easily scraped or sanded off. Wear vinyl gloves when using, it is a skin irritant. It can be "kicked off" by moisture so I use it for all my wet laminations.

Of course, you could always use aircraft grade resorcinol resin glue (Weldwood) but then you have to mix in small batches because of the pot life, and take precautions because of the formaldehyde content when working with it. I used to make dining room table tops (Herringbone pattern butcher blocks in Chinese Rosewood and Oak...should have stayed in that business.) with it and never had one come apart in over 30 years.

Is the problem outdoors really the glue? Are you sure that you are using outdoor rated plywood? The indoor rated stuff really comes apart if exposed to the weather. Marine grade would be better and you could probably get it in 1/8 inch thickness. It would be more expensive than the stuff you get at Home Depot or Lowe's but probably less than balsa and certainly less than real aircraft grade plywood. If your are going to fly something made of plywood, don't forget to use the Emmenthaler effect.;-)

Another approach is to keep the Guillow's outlines and redraft the plans to use foam and resin covering (fiberglass or Dacron) over a wood structure. Many real light planes have been built this way. It's also possible to build flight weight models of that size in aluminum. You have to be a good wood worker to build in aluminum at home because you build a lot of jigs and fixtures, but if the cost is not prohibitive, you can rivet and glue up a structure that is almost ready for paint as soon as you pop it off the jig. Just another thought.

Have Fun!

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby thymekiller » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:00 am

As far as flying it, the cost of wood doesnt bother me. Its the additional cost of motive power. I have a 78 inch Kadet Senior on the shelf [in a box] that would cost 450 bucks to fly. [ if I bought all new gear] Retracts for a p40 would be another, what 2-300? I'm not so sure I want to spend that much on a plane, but it would be cool!!!!
Static: I have lots of ceiling space. For indoor , I would use pine. Outdoor, treated ply, foam, and fiberglass. Mounted on a swivel pedastal, with a wind blown prop. Or maybe no prop, hinged nose, as a mailbox.

More to consider: This will sound goofy but, Live camera in the cockpit. I'm sure you have seen the model boats that use co2 bb guns........ :lol:

I have often wondered about cameras on a model plane being used in search and rescue. It would be cheaper than real craft. The military has many craft that do the same thing. I dont have the military budget, but I think it could be done for under 700.00 . Compared to a real craft, A man could build ALOT of the "eye in the sky" type things.

All of that is fantasy of course. The topic is a giant guillows. Thats not out of the question, but I could not do it any sooner than this summer. I think it would look great in the front yard. Believe it or not, the wife has already approved. :D

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby thymekiller » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:06 am

Cool pic of the outdoor p40. I know everybody has a fav and thats mine. I have some other pics from you in a file for inspiration.
How much does the ply plane weigh?

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby thymekiller » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am

Got this from hippocket.
Glass' and foam.

thymekiller
thymekiller

Postby thymekiller » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:28 am

Ouch!! sorry about the oversize pic.