Copy of Guillows Mosquito Fighter Kit???

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Mossy Plans

Postby SteveM » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:49 am

danrc wrote:I believe that the AMA has the old 800 series Mosquito plans for purchase. No word on whether that includes plastic parts, but I doubt that to be the case.
They are pretty good quality copies with an AMA watermark. The plans include a B/W copy of the decal sheet and the green paper used to line the cockpit and other internal areas. No plastics or other materials are provided.

danrc wrote:Copyrights are only worth pursuing if there's some money involved. Divesting someone of a few pennies on a discontinued kit (assuming they're profiting from the dissemination, which is unlikely) is hardly worth the money of employing an attorney.

I may be misunderstanding you, but I sure hope you aren't advocating an action on the basis of there being no repercussions rather than on the basis of it being morally right or wrong.
SteveM

clarification

Postby danrc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I'm hardly advocating for committing a copyright violation. It's obvious I should clarify my statement. Passing plans amongst buddies differs entirely from profitting on the selling them on the net without authority to do so. There's obviously varying degrees of copyright infrigement, from sending paper copies or electronic scans to mass producing someone's plans for sale. I made my statement to serve as reassurance that sending one plan is unlikely to stoke the litigious fire. This was merely a statement of fact, not a discussion of right and wrong.

I am merely looking to see if there's a plan out there for this item in cyberspace, someone's footlocker, a backyard time capsule, what have you. Based upon the years that have passed since this kit has been out of service, you'd expect sharing this kit plan to involve a minute degree of CR infringement if you have any hopes to get access to it (unless you buy it, which is what I would advocate where possible). I would always advocate taking the high road and buying kits/plans where appropriate. With that said, I'm not trying to convince anyone to break the law. If someone knows where I can find this plan, then I'll make my own decision how to go about obtaining it.

[/quote]
danrc

Postby SteveM » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 pm

In another thread Mark (Guillow's employee and forum admin) commented on sharing a copy of some plans. In that case a forum member in South Africa had lost his plans but still had the rest of his kit. That case was pretty clear cut, it was an in production kit with lost directions and the guy just wanted something to go off of till his order arrived. In the case of the Mosquito plans, well, I'll just buy from the AMA for $8 and sleep well at night knowing it was legit.

You can see the AMA Mosquito plans side-by-side with the originals here at the Virtual Aerodrome. Don't forget to click "next" to see the other parts of the plans.
SteveM

Order to go out

Postby danrc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks for the virtual aerodrome site reference. It looks like those plans are perfectly accurate and in great shape.

I will be ordering the AMA plans now that I know they're out there. It would be nice to find them in pdf format for purposes of upsizing them, which I'm sure I could do even with the watermarked ama plans.
danrc

Postby dbcisco » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:39 pm

I would hope that Guillow's (at least) knows that limited sharing between friends increases the likelihood that those friends will become long term customers.
Why do you think companies give away billions of dollars of freebies every year. We are not talking about mass infringement but getting someone hooked on their products. We are talking about getting people to embrace the Guillow's product line.
A bumblebee isn't supposed to fly but does.
My plane is supposed to fly but doesn't.
Balances out doesn't it : )
dbcisco

Postby SteveM » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Per the AMA plans service FAQ:

Can you make the plans smaller or bigger?
Yes. Most of the time plans can be resized to fit the wingspan you want. Call for special requests and a price quote.
SteveM

upsizing

Postby danrc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Perfect, now I just have to figure out how big a plane I want to monkey with. Creating molds for the plastic shouldn't be too terribly difficult.
danrc

Postby BBreyer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:41 am

I just picked up a Mosquito. If you want, I can scan the plans for you - provided it is not a copyright infringement.

Why doesn't Guillow's reissue the discontinued models as bare bones kits that include only the plans, plastic parts, and decals? They don't even need to package them in a box. I 'd buy all of the reissues, as I'm sure you guys would.
BBreyer

Postby Anders » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:06 pm

If its not too much to ask for i would like the plans too.

not sure if AMA sends plans to Norway. :roll:
The mosquito would look good in the air :wink:
Anders

Postby BillParker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 am

Me too, eh!

I want to blow that one up to real big!

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Previous