Guillow's rubber

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby cdwheatley » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:54 pm

Yes that's much clearer, thanks Howard. Have a good trip and a nice holiday!
cdwheatley

Postby lennyz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:33 pm

CD---JUST HAD A FEW MINUTES TO BROWSE THE SITE & CAUGHT YOUR
POST. I HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE THIS SPRING W/MY 1ST ATTEMPT
AT FREE FLIGHT W/ MY 900 SERIES MUSTANG. I BELIEVE MOST OF THE PROBLEMS COME FROM THE AIRPLANE'S DESIGN. A FIGHTER PLANE IS MADE TO BE MANUVERABLE SO IT'S DESIGN IS INHERINTLY UNSTABLE.
THAT & THE WAY THE GUILLOWS KITS ARE DESIGNED IS RATHER HEAVY
FOR A FREE FLIGHT MODEL. I WAS ABLE TO GET THE PLANE FAIRLY STABLE IN A STRAIGHTISH LINE BUT FLIGHTS WERE SHORT 20-30 SECONDS AND LEES AT FIRST. I WANT TO TRY AGAIN WITH SOME MODS- REMOVING OR SANDING STRINGERS- HOLES IN WING FORMERS
HOLLOW OUT LEADING EDGE OF WING ETC. BASICALLY THROW ALL THE WEIGHT I CAN OVERBOARD. ESPECIALLY FROM THE FUSELAGE. I BELIEVE THE WING ON MOST SCALE MODELS WILL THEN HAVE ENOUGH LIFT TO GLIDE A FAIR WAY. THIS AND THE RUBBER ISSUES YOU HAVE ALREADY GOTTEN PLENTY OF ADVICE ON. TALK AGAIN LENNY Z
lennyz

Postby lennyz » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:43 am

CD---I'VE DONE IT AGAIN AND HAD ANOTHER SENIOR MOMENT!!!
THE MUSTANG MODEL I WAS REFERING TO IN MY PREVIOUS REPLY
IS A MODEL 402 SORRY LENNY Z
lennyz

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Further note on Guillow's thrust buttons.

Working on my very late models for the last "G" Challenge I noticed that even some of the Guillow's thrust buttons that have the front bearing extension are still useless. The shaft hole is too large and you still cannot get a reliable thrust line adjustment.

Hold the thrust button level and look at it from the side with the prop shaft through it. The prop shaft should be free to turn in the hole, but if you can get the prop shaft to wiggle, up and down, or side to side in the bearing, you have a bad one. If yours is bad the lack of lateral control of the prop shaft will be very visible. Throw the thrust button away and replace it with something (Dare or Peck are good) that holds the prop shaft laterally.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Scirocco14FP » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Howard, thanks for all the great advice. I was going nuts trying to install the rubber motor in my Stuka today and searched the forums...problem solved!

Test flights soon!

Mark
Mark C.
Asheville, NC
Scirocco14FP

Previous

Return to General Building Questions